Monthly Archives: February 2016

Beef Rings in Tay


             The following piece was contributed by Glenn Mount of Huntsville, formerly of Reeves  Road, Tay Township.   The gentleman in the picture is Matthew Mount (1824 – 1904), his great grandfather. Glenn  believes that he was the first Mount in … Continue reading

Posted in agricultural, community, heritage, rural Tay | Tagged , , , | 2 Comments

The Victoria Harbor Lumber Company Office and the Royal Victoria Hotel


Figure 1: The VHLC Head Office (Right) and the Royal Victoria Hotel (Left) In 1885, Toronto entrepreneur John Waldie arrived in Victoria Harbour to buy the Kean, Fowlie, and the Power Lumber mills along with hundreds of square miles of … Continue reading

Posted in heritage, history, logging and lumbering, Uncategorized, Victoria Harbour | Tagged , , , | 2 Comments

The McCannell House, Port McNicoll


. Built in 1912 the McCannell house was completed and lived in by March of 1913. It has been well maintained all its life and many of the original aspects and partitions of the home have been preserved. The only … Continue reading

Posted in CPR, heritage, history, Port McNicoll, Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

The Village Library and Company Store


                      The Victoria Harbor Lumber Company                                                                                                        Store  and Library     The library was said to have been promised to the villagers of Victoria Harbour by Mr. John Waldie – … Continue reading

Posted in designated buildings, heritage, history, logging and lumbering, Uncategorized, Victoria Harbour | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Victoria Harbor Lumber Company Mills


                                                                     Figure 1: Victoria Harbour Lumber Mills c1910 In the mid-19th century a burgeoning lumber industry grew in the area, based upon the plentiful white pine in the forests along Georgian Bay. In 1843 … Continue reading

Posted in heritage, history, Uncategorized, Victoria Harbour | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

CP Rail Staff Houses, Port McNicoll


                           Figure 1: CPR Staff Houses, First (now Talbot) Street, 1914 In 1912 the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) moved its 5 steamship fleet from Owen Sound to its newly constructed lake port and railhead at Port McNicoll.   People came from … Continue reading

Posted in heritage, Port McNicoll, Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Bonar Presbyterian Church


  Bonar’s history is the history of Port McNicoll. In 1912 the five ship Canadian Pacific Railway fleet moved to town from Owen Sound.  Construction of the church likely began sometime in 1913, reportedly on land donated by the CPR. … Continue reading

Posted in community, CPR, heritage, history, Port McNicoll, Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment