In the early 1900’s marine traffic in the Victoria Harbour area had increased to the point where the Federal Department of Marine recognized that there was a need for range lights to guide lumber schooners and steamers to and from Port McNicoll and Victoria Harbour. in 1910 two square wooden lighthouse towers, surmounted by kerosene, later electric, lamps were constructed.
Restored rear range light as it is today
The front range light had a focal plane of 27 ft. above the bay and the rear light had a focal plane of 100 ft. The front range light was erected on Bergie Point and the second was placed high on the hill overlooking the harbour, 1400 yards from the front tower. After following the Midland Point Range, mariners could line up the two fixed red lights of the Victoria Harbour range to order to reach Victoria Harbour or Port McNicoll safely.
Front Range Light on Bergie Point
In 1968 a metal skeleton tower replaced the front light and the rear light was no longer needed. In the 1990’s the front tower was removed and Tay Township assumed ownership of the rear tower from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
The rear tower was in poor condition. It has been refurbished, although without the lamp, at a cost of $60,000 to replicate as close as possible the original range light.
For more detail on Tay heritage sites visit https://taytownshipheritage.wordpress.com
Tay Township Heritage blog https://taytownshipheritage.wordpress.com
Tay Township Heritage Committee http://www.tay.ca/en/your-municipality/tay-heritage-committee.asp
Tay Township Heritage Register and Inventory