Tag Archives: Waubaushene

Brodeur Residence: 209 Cherry Street Waubaushene


Built: 1880 Current Owner: Christine Brodeur Built By: Undetermined Present Use: Dwelling Structure: Frame House Original Use: Dwelling Exterior Wall: Aluminum Siding Address:   209 Cherry St. Style: Salt Box   Architectural: This house is a one and a half … Continue reading

Posted in heritage, Uncategorized, Waubaushene | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Waubaushene Home Becomes a Designated Heritage Site


Tay Township Council has designated the home at 200 Cherry Street in Waubaushene as significant under the Ontario Heritage Act; i.e. it is of value to the community because of its history, architecture, or place in the growth of the … Continue reading

Posted in heritage, history, Uncategorized, Waubaushene | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Louis Brousseau and the Chicago World’s Fair


Many long-term residents of this area will remember the name Louis Brousseau,      well-known for delivering fresh vegetables and berries from his island garden to the towns along the southern shores of Georgian Bay. His nicknames of “Onion King” and “Cranberry Brousseau” … Continue reading

Posted in heritage, history, Waubaushene | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

St. John’s Church Complex in Waubaushene Destroyed by Fire, November 1916


                  The Roman Catholic Church presence in Waubaushene dates back to the town’s beginnings as a lumbering centre in 1861. In that year William Hall established a mill on the shore line east from what is now Pine Street. As … Continue reading

Posted in community, community event, heritage, history, Uncategorized, Waubaushene | Tagged , , , , , , | 3 Comments

Iconic Old Waubaushene House Demolished


        Figure 1: 15 Willow Street 2015, from North       Figure 2: East (Coldwater Road) Elevation The house at 15 Willow Street, Waubaushene will soon be no more. It was built c.1880 across Coldwater Road from the head office and company store … Continue reading

Posted in community, heritage, history, logging and lumbering, Uncategorized, Waubaushene | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Tay Township Introduces “Museum Town” QR-Based Heritage Signage


“Museum Town” is an initiative by the Tay Township Heritage Committee, in partnership with the Huronia Museum, designed to help preserve the identity, history and memory of Tay Township.   Left to Right: Lynda Hook, Tay Heritage Committee, Nahanni Born,Huronia  … Continue reading

Posted in community, heritage, history, logging and lumbering, Port McNicoll, rural Tay, Victoria Harbour, Waubaushene, Waverley | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Waubaushene Station


                          Figure 1: Waubaushene Station, South Side of Willow Street                                                                  Figure 2: Rail Corridor c 1880 The Tay Shore Trail is an 18.5 km multi-use recreational facility stretching from Waubaushene to Ste. Marie Among the Hurons and Port McNicoll. Opened … Continue reading

Posted in heritage, history, logging and lumbering, Uncategorized, Waubaushene | Tagged , , , , , | 2 Comments

Waubaushene’s Lumber Era (1861 – 1924)


  In the mid-19th century, several forces had combined to create a burgeoning lumber industry in this area. White pine was in plentiful supply along the shores and rivers emptying into Georgian Bay and the north shore of Lake Huron. … Continue reading

Posted in heritage, history, logging and lumbering, Uncategorized, Waubaushene | Tagged , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Georgian Bay Lumber Company Waubaushene Mill


            Figure 1: Waubaushene Mill, Matchedash Bay c1920 The headquarters and largest of the Georgian Bay Lumber Company mills was located in Waubaushene. This mill employed about 250 men, including millwrights, blacksmiths, sawyers, filers, lumber pilers, and general labourers. … Continue reading

Posted in heritage, history, logging and lumbering, Uncategorized, Waubaushene | Tagged , , , , , | 5 Comments

S.S. # 14 Tay (Rosemount School)


  This former one room schoolhouse was constructed in 1926 by the Simcoe County School Board to replace an existing school that had been destroyed by fire. The original entries, one for the girls and one for the boys, have … Continue reading

Posted in heritage, history, rural Tay, Uncategorized, Victoria Harbour, Waubaushene | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment