The SS Keewatin was launched in 1907 and served with the CPR Great Lakes Steamship Service. The Keewatin sailed between Port McNicoll and Fort William, completing the Canadian Pacific Railway’s cross-country route.
In 1912, CPR moved its main terminus to Port McNicoll, taking advantage of the natural deep water harbour. The Keewatin and four other CPR steamships were moved there from Owen Sound. A grain elevator was also built to recieve grain shipments from around the great lakes that were destined for Ontario and Quebec.
Eventually, the demand for passenger service on the steamships disappeared, and the Keewatin was moved to freight only service. This didn’t last long, and the Keewatin was eventually retired in 1965. She was purchased in 1967 and moved to Douglas, Michigan where she was turned into a museum.
The Keewatin has been purchased and is being brought back to Port McNicoll as part of a large redevlopment of the historic port. The ship will be arriving June 23, 2012, and details will be available on this site as they arrive.
To view posts that have been written about the Keewatin, click “SS Keewatin” in the “Tags” portion of the right hand sidebar.